- some 4,030 people told HMRC during the past year that that they had disclosed personal information to cyber criminals, compared with 3,492 in 2018-2019.
- more than 203,000 people reported phone scams to HMRC during the past year (April 2019 – March 2020), an increase of 95% on the previous year section continues.
- during April this year HMRC received 43,333 reports from the public about phishing scams – an increase of 34%
- HMRC reported 1,742 suspicious phone numbers to telecommunication companies for takedown during 2019-2020, up from 868 the previous year.
- in the year to March 2020 HMRC received 575,624 scam referrals from the public.
- HMRC asked internet service providers to take down 7,268 malicious web pages during the year to March 2020, more than half identified by HMRC’s Customer Protection Team before they were reported by the public.
- nearly 450,000 people used HMRC’s GOV.UK scams advice pages during 2019-2020. COVID-19 scams latest HMRC has detected 112 COVID-related financial scams since March, most by text message. We have asked internet service providers to take down more than 126 web pages associated with these scam campaigns.
Would you like to download our mobile app from the App Store?Download