If you are a sales person then this may be something that you feel you have covered. Many people who start their own business do so because they can sell. The difficulty in this area for these business owners may be stepping back to let someone else take on this function so that they can run the business as a whole. The key to the success of this is then the reporting element.
If you are not a sales person then you will have different challenges in this area. As the person who started your business you know it best and you also know the most detail of where you want to take it. Buying in expertise in this area is possible but you are always going to have to put some time in to this area because you hold this vital information.
Sales and marketing can come in many forms:
- Social media
- Sales calls
- Trade fairs
How you get your customers will be a unique mix of these for your business and you may put more importance on some than others, but most businesses today will have some kind of web presence as this is the way that many people now look for suppliers and have an expectation that they will find you this way.
Whatever the strategy is for sales and marketing in your business it needs regular time, like any other area, to be done well.
We are not experts in this area but there are some tips below that may help:
- To have a web presence also means that you need to keep it up to date and make sure that you have customer testimonials as prospects very much like to see reviews from existing customers
- If you or a staff member goes into the prospect meetings you need to make sure that you have prepared well for the meeting and feel confident in what you are saying and what you will deliver. Be prepared to answer objections, it doesn’t mean that they won’t buy from you it just means that they need more information
- Ask you existing clients for referrals and testimonials
- If sales calls are a part of your model make sure that the person making the call really understands your business and is a keen listener
- For any project that you undertake make sure that you can measure what you got back directly from it
- Choose the right form of social media for your business and think about the tone and language that you use for content specifically
- Make sure you have a definition of exactly who you are trying to attract – type of business, location, size
- Don’t get pulled into a price war – understand the value of what you are delivering
Something to try with your team that could add extra value is detailed below:
The Wow! How? Process
1 Identify all points of contact
2 For each point of contact ask…
- What can we do to WOW the customer?
- HOW can we capitalise on their delight?
3 Pick the “best” ideas
4 Test to see if they actually work
5 Build the ideas that work into your systems
As always if there is anything that you would like to follow up with us please call 0161 723 3211 or visit www.wildsca.com