Having fun in the workplace may not be top of most employers’ list when they come to think about what they want but it is not to be underestimated.
Employers who encourage a little bit of fun in the workplace (along with getting the work done of course) will often find that morale is higher and results better
I’ve heard stories of roof top bars and jukeboxes within accountancy practices. You may not want to go quite as far as that but fish and chip Fridays, a drink after work or an occasional team event are all things that you can organise fairly easily. Your team may also have ideas about what they would like to be included.
To get the fun into the everyday workplace you may need to think a bit harder. A good (short) read is Fish which is based upon the Seattle fish market. Being in the cold behind a fish stall may not sound like much fun but these businesses have a unique take on the day and have many happy customers off the back of it.
The facts are as follows:
- Productivity – 96% of executives say that people with a sense of humour do a better
- Success – 60% of executives say that having a sense of humour is a deciding factor in how successful you will be
- Creativity – Cornell University found that watching funny films increases creativity
- You spend more time at work than anywhere else
Fun in the workplace:
- Reduces stress and tension
- Brings groups together
- Improves communication
So what have you got to lose? Would you not like your workplace to have more of these qualities?
Let us know what you introduce!